27 May 2019
Scott Redding backed up his debut Bennetts British Superbike Championship race win by completing a hat trick of victories at Donington Park this afternoon, edging out Xavi Forés and Tommy Bridewell in the final race of the triple-header weekend.
The Be Wiser Ducati rider had his best start of the weekend to hit the front of the pack into Redgate for the first time with pole-sitter Hector Barbera, Xavi Forés and Josh Brookes in close contention as the pack streamed down Craner Curves for the first time.
Forés grabbed the lead at Redgate on lap two as Brookes also moved into second with Redding back in third with Christian Iddon and Bridewell shuffling up the order. On the sixth lap Forés went wide at Coppice, giving Brookes the room he needed to move ahead.
Redding was into second place by lap eight with a move on Forés into Redgate and then two laps later the former MotoGP contender was in the lead and pushing for a breakaway. The battle was then on for second place and a big moment for Brookes on the 16th lap at Roberts on the brakes saw him run on to avoid contact and dropped him down the order, finishing the race in fifth place.
Tarran Mackenzie was holding second place for the McAMS Yamaha team but he was demoted back to third when Forés launched ahead at the Old Hairpin with six laps to go. The battle for second continued with Mackenzie and Forés trading blows, but the Spanish contender had the edge with two laps to go and then Bridewell was pushing for the final podium position.
Bridewell made a lunge at Roberts on the final lap to narrowly cross the line ahead of Mackenzie on the final lap to claim third place.
Christian Iddon was sixth on the Tyco BMW after teammate Keith Farmer crashed out with two laps to go at Roberts. Peter Hickman was seventh ahead of Andrew Irwin and the Buildbase Suzuki pairing of Bradley Ray and Luke Stapleford completed the top ten.
Bennetts British Superbike Championship, Donington Park, Race 3 result:
- Scott Redding (Be Wiser Ducati)
- Xavi Forés (Honda Racing) +1.196s
- Tommy Bridewell (Oxford Racing Ducati) +1.779s
- Tarran Mackenzie (McAMS Yamaha) +1.857s
- Josh Brookes (Be Wiser Ducati) +2.004s
- Christian Iddon (Tyco BMW) +9.220s
- Peter Hickman (Smiths Racing BMW) +10.334s
- Andrew Irwin (Honda Racing) +12.952s
- Bradley Ray (Buildbase Suzuki) +18.966s
- Luke Stapleford (Buildbase Suzuki) +21.979s
Bennetts British Superbike Championship standings after Donington Park:
- Scott Redding (Be Wiser Ducati) 115
- Tommy Bridewell (Oxford Racing Ducati) 109
- Tarran Mackenzie (McAMS Yamaha) 108
- Josh Brookes (Be Wiser Ducati) 74
- Xavi Forés (Honda Racing) 70
- Danny Buchan (FS-3 Racing Kawasaki) 68