7 May 2019
Josh Brookes got his Bennetts British Superbike Championship title attack firmly back on track at Oulton Park today (Monday) as the Be Wiser Ducati rider celebrated a double race win in Cheshire to fire himself back into the standings after a tough opening round.
At the start of the race Brookes again launched to the front of the pack on the Be Wiser Ducati ahead of Jason O'Halloran and Tommy Bridewell, but the Oxford Racing Ducati rider was instantly on the attack and on the second lap moved ahead of the McAMS Yamaha.
O’Halloran was fighting hard but he was soon under pressure from Christian Iddon and Danny Buchan. Iddon edged the Tyco BMW down the inside at Old Hall on lap four with Buchan then diving down the inside at Lodge to push O’Halloran back down the order.
Scott Redding was also on the move and he was shadowing O’Halloran for fifth place; which he grabbed on the run into Old Hall at the start of the sixth lap as Tarran Mackenzie closed in on the pair. Mackenzie was pushing his team-mate and he also made a move as the Australian continued to push on despite still suffering from a shoulder injury from last week’s test.
As Brookes held off Bridewell for the win in the closing stages, Buchan celebrated his third consecutive podium finish for FS3-Racing Kawasaki, with Redding holding fourth after fending off the final push from Mackenzie over the closing laps.
Iddon claimed his best result of the season in sixth place for Tyco BMW ahead of O’Halloran and Keith Farmer who battled with his McAMS Yamaha rival until the finish. Andrew Irwin managed to get the better of Ryan Vickers in the closing stages to finish ninth ahead of the Superbike rookie.
Bennetts British Superbike Championship, Oulton Park, Race 2 result:
1. Josh Brookes (Be Wiser Ducati)
2. Tommy Bridewell (Oxford Racing Ducati) +2.686s
3. Danny Buchan (FS3-Racing Kawasaki) +7.035s
4. Scott Redding (Be Wiser Ducati) +9.370s
5. Tarran Mackenzie (McAMS Yamaha) +9.614s
6. Christian Iddon (Tyco BMW) +12.572s
7. Jason O'Halloran (McAMS Yamaha) +16.142s
8. Keith Farmer (Tyco BMW) +16.171s
9. Andrew Irwin (Honda Racing) +20.892s
10. Ryan Vickers (RAF Regular & Reserves Kawasaki) +21.027s
Bennetts British Superbike Championship standings after Oulton Park:
1. Tarran Mackenzie (McAMS Yamaha) 64
=. Tommy Bridewell (Oxford Racing Ducati) 64
3. Danny Buchan (FS-3 Racing Kawasaki) 55
4. Josh Elliott (OMG Racing Suzuki) 52
5. Josh Brookes (Be Wiser Ducati) 50
6. Scott Redding (Be Wiser Ducati) 40